This week we had the opportunity
to travel to the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington
D.C. I would like to thank CSIS for the accommodations they provided on our
three-day trip. Between the various speakers, the policy simulation, and dinner
at 1789, there was not a part of the trip I did not enjoy. After this trip, I
would definitely consider working at CSIS in the future if offered the
opportunity.
The guest speakers from CSIS
dominated most of the time that we spent at CSIS. Prior to departing for CSIS,
I was concerned that listening to guest speakers for eight hours would be
exhausting. After listening to the various speakers, I can safely say that I
was never bored or mentally exhausted. Every speaker that we listened to was engaging
and an expert in the field that they worked in. Some of our guest speakers
included James Lewis, Arnaud de Borchgrave, Heather Conley and Richard Jackson.
These speakers covered a wide range of topics from Cyber security to Global
Aging to Prospects on Africa.
Arnaud Borchgrave was one speaker
that specifically stood out to the class. Arnaud Borchgrave is an award-winning
journalist who has been around the world covering the most important issues
since 1947. Throughout his career, Arnaud interviewed a wide range of world
leaders that included Muammar Gaddafi, Saddam Hussein, and Pham Van Dong.
Instead of speaking one a specific issue, Arnaud answered our questions for an
hour. I am thankful that Arnaud chose
this method, as the various stories he had from his career were fascinating.
Perhaps the greatest quote that Arnaud Borchgrave said was regarding the budget
super committee. "The super committee is like two drunks arguing about the
bar tab as the Titanic is sinking."
On the second half of the second day, we began our Cyber Security Policy
simulation. Going into the simulation, no one in the class had any idea what
was going to happen. While we had read about cyber security issues, no one
would tell us what would happen in the simulation. This year's simulation began
when all power in to the City of Chicago was shutdown. Our job was to design a
response to the situation, as well as create a three-pillar United States Cyber
security Policy. Our team's response to the Chicago simulation was to begin providing
immediate relief to Chicago, while avoiding the blame game internationally. Our
three-pillar cyber security revolved around the issues James Lewis discussed in
his talk as well as the class readings. After briefing the president, we
received feedback as well as an update to the situation. The situation update
involved the crash of the Chinese stock markets. Finally, we had to present our
final policy as well as the United States response to the Chinese stock
markets. When it was all finished, our team ended up winning the competition.
Overall, this trip was a great experience and helped me learn more about
how think tanks help shape public policy. I would definitely recommend anyone
interested in working in this field take this class next fall. The experiences
gained during this semester are impossible to replicate outside of an
internship. After this class, I am definitely going to explore obtaining an
internship at CSIS this summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment